This project was so rewarding to take time for myself to explore something outside of being a mom, teacher, and wife. I learned so much about myself during these few weeks. I experienced The Dip, as well as persevered through it. I now am to a point where I'm not ready to stop! I want to keep going!
I learned what works for some people (Marie Kondo) may not work for everyone (me!!!!) There was no way that I would be able to keep up her method. In the moment it would be satisfying, but I have to make this last for the long haul for mine and my family's sanity. I not only got to make time to make my home better, the most important place to me, but I also got to make time to learn about myself. It became satisfying and I wanted to do it more and more.
When I look back on this process, I think back to my original "why?" I felt like I had no control, my house was out of sorts. I needed to gain back control. My sentence was "She controlled what she could control."
I may not be able to keep my kids safe from the flu. I may not be able to stop a leaky ceiling. I may not be able to get rid of the dust from home improvement projects going on. I may not be able to control my husband's crazy work schedule. But what I can control, is the state of my home. I know where things are and they are neatly labeled for my "roomies" to find! :)
I have learned so much about cleaning and organization, I even made a tech (of course!) quiz to help others identify how to organize their own spaces.
Taking this back into my own classroom, here are my takeaways:
1. Be Flexible. There were times that I felt like I could not do anything and had all of the excuses. However, there needed to be progress and I had to find a way to keep going forward although it may not be how I originally envisioned.
2. Let students find what they are passionate about. When you give them a choice, they will rise to the occasion and beyond!
I learned what works for some people (Marie Kondo) may not work for everyone (me!!!!) There was no way that I would be able to keep up her method. In the moment it would be satisfying, but I have to make this last for the long haul for mine and my family's sanity. I not only got to make time to make my home better, the most important place to me, but I also got to make time to learn about myself. It became satisfying and I wanted to do it more and more.
When I look back on this process, I think back to my original "why?" I felt like I had no control, my house was out of sorts. I needed to gain back control. My sentence was "She controlled what she could control."
I may not be able to keep my kids safe from the flu. I may not be able to stop a leaky ceiling. I may not be able to get rid of the dust from home improvement projects going on. I may not be able to control my husband's crazy work schedule. But what I can control, is the state of my home. I know where things are and they are neatly labeled for my "roomies" to find! :)
I have learned so much about cleaning and organization, I even made a tech (of course!) quiz to help others identify how to organize their own spaces.
Taking this back into my own classroom, here are my takeaways:
1. Be Flexible. There were times that I felt like I could not do anything and had all of the excuses. However, there needed to be progress and I had to find a way to keep going forward although it may not be how I originally envisioned.
2. Let students find what they are passionate about. When you give them a choice, they will rise to the occasion and beyond!
I am going to guess this is a place marker :)
ReplyDeleteI have now updated this post! :)
DeleteI love your first takeaway, Jenn! Flexibility is key, and no matter what, you always have to find a way to keep going forward, even when things don't turn out how you anticipated. That's a life goal, right there! Awesome job!
DeleteHow crazy?! It seems like your sentence was like the world was saying, "Oh yea? We will show you exactly how little control you have?!" Flu, floods and so much more! It seems like your worked through a very challenging time with grace and dignity! Way to go, Jen! Organization is usually my goal each summer and I always set the bar too high! Your project reminded me to take it one day at a time.
ReplyDelete