Do I use social media? In my personal life, of course! However, prior to this program, I have always been hesitant to use social media in my professional life. The reasons are obvious... putting yourself out there. This makes me wonder, why am I using social media in my personal life?
1. To stay connected to family, friends, and peers
2. To keep up with local and national news
3. To share what's going on in my life
Shouldn't that be true about my reasons for why I want to be on social media professionally?
1. To stay connected with fellow teachers
2. To stay up to speed with what's going on in the world of education
3. To share great things that are happening in my classroom
I totally get the benefits of Twitter, however, I 'm still struggling to check, update, scroll, post, etc. I think I have to make it a conscious effort to check it especially when I'm no longer in classes. I know that I'm a better teacher when I'm in school. I still need to continue to grow and reflect and learn new strategies.
Other than Twitter, I really like to use Google Sites, Google Classroom and SeeSaw. I've had such a positive response from using Google sites and SeeSaw. The best part about it is parents get a peek into the classroom however much or little they would like. The only thing I don't like about SeeSaw is the organization of the interface. I really like how they can comment on each other's work. It's such a great teachable moment of what an appropriate response would be to a peer.
It has been such an adjustment to go from paper/pencil to 1:1 iPads because of the added level of security required. I think it's so important to add that layer of digital citizenship. I think we're all aware of the signs of cyberbullying but better yet make students aware of how their digital footprint does not disappear with the delete key. I also think it's important for them to learn the repercussions of these actions.




Comments
Post a Comment