The world of education is changing faster and faster now with the presence of technology in every classroom. Therefore, the birth of the ISTE standards came to be. What are the ISTE Standards? The ISTE Standards are a set of standards for educators and learners of how to effectively navigate learning with technology in the classroom setting.
Technology use in the classroom has been around for several decades now. Therefore, they have continued to evolve with technology.
© 2019 International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
There are 7 components of the ISTE standards for student learning. Educators will encourage learners to be: empowered learners, digital citizens, knowledgable constructors, innovative designers, computational thinkers, creative communicators, and global collaborators.
© 2019 International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
The SAMR model shows how technology can be integrated into the classroom by enhancing instruction or transformation instruction. I love this video that breaks down the SAMR model by comparing it to coffee.

Jake Miller breaks down the video into this amazing graphic below.
The goal of using technology is not to just simply replace a paper-pencil task with an iPad because we can. The goal is to redesign and create activities so that technology entirely transforms it. However, sometimes all we want as educators is that basic cup of coffee.. and that's OK! Using a paper pencil activity or a basic task on the iPad isn't a bad thing!
So what am I saying here? Well, the two models are similar in many ways. They are both guidelines to help educators guide their learners on the appropriate use of technology. We have different standards for curriculum and social-emotional learning, so with the ever-growing, ever-changing use of technology in the classroom, of course, there would be new standards to help guide us to integrate technology in the classroom. Both frameworks can be tackled at a very basic level to simply replace a task using technology, or they can set high standards for entirely transforming activities.
However, they are very different. The ISTE Standards are a set of guidelines to help students safely and effectively use technology. The SAMR model is a Blooms Taxonomy of technology where it "ranks" the effectiveness of switching a paper-pencil task with technology. There is nothing wrong with a substitution for convenience. However, there should be a good balance in your classroom using the different levels of the SAMR model.




Yes, Jennifer, they are totally different models! The ISTE standards are more like standards for students and teachers to incorporate into lesson plans. In my mind SAMR is a goal to work toward while trying to most effectively integrate technology into teaching and learning.
ReplyDeleteHi Jennifer, your family is beautiful and I wish I could tell you that motherhood gets easier, but really it just gets crazy in a different way. Your blog is amazing and your posts are all very thoughtful. I especially love your infographics. Your digital footprint poster also spoke to me. I think that is a great and long lasting visually that can really help students understand the long lasting effects of their posts. I'm learning so much from these classes and from each other.
ReplyDeleteI love the way you wrote this, Jennifer, you voice really comes through. The coffee comparison is still one of my favorites. Now I try to see if I can make a comparison using Starbucks to just about everything :) Thank you for this thoughtful post.
ReplyDelete