Skip to main content

Multimedia Tools Course Reflection

When I started this course, I was very uncomfortable with recording my voice and my face. I think I just grew up in a generation where we didn't do that, ....and I'm grateful for that. Everything we did had to be written down on paper; there was no permanent trace of it on the internet.


However, by the end of the class, I definitely felt more comfortable because it was just something that I had accepted that I needed to do. I still feel uncomfortable recording my face, but I realized that I really like using clips to create math videos. It allows you to add images, videos, background music and it is super user-friendly!

When you think of your traditional math learning back when you were a student, you thought of transparencies, whiteboards, and lots of worksheets.



When I think of teaching math now, I realize how important it is for it to be interactive. This is why multimedia plays such a major role in in the math classroom. That type of learning worked for some, but it wasn't effective and engaging.

I love the idea that similar to the classes I'm in now, my classroom can be a blended format. Sometimes students will watch videos at home, and sometimes we will discuss these things in class. I think that the beauty of it though is for struggling learners, they can rewatch the videos as many times as they need to fully grasp it. Your students will be so grateful for this!



At the start of this course, I was genuinely wondering how I would make multimedia work in my math classroom, but I really see the value in it. When I hear multimedia, I always thought of just adding sounds to the classroom. I didn't see the relevance in math. However, I have learned that multimedia simply means more than one mode of communication. I do this all the time with videos.

Comments

  1. Jenn,

    I agree that utilizing multi-media - no matter what subject you teach - enhances students' learning experience and impacts how deeply they understand the content being taught. Students are more engaged and more fully grasp concepts. And - even more powerful - is when students create multi-media projects to show off their learning. I have seen student creativity and depth of understanding blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and creative post! I love your visual enhancements. I agree that students' learning and engagement will be high when we incorporate multimedia into our teaching. One of my favorite takeaways from this class is that no make how self conscious we are about ourselves on the screen, the kids watch us all day long and they don't care at all, nothing seems unusual to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, Jen! Being recorded on audio or video is definitely not comfortable for me either, but the more we did it in this course, the more relaxed I tried to be about it, and in turn, the more fun I had! I also agree that it is so important for students to be active participants in their own learning and multimedia platforms can really help with that! I have the pleasure of sharing a room with you at Oak and have been able to see some of your new ideas in action - your kiddos love it! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I am with you thinking that multimedia might not be applicable to math but was amazed but how much I was able to use it. It looks like you did a great job being creative!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

*Sigh* Twitter

I remember the moment Kim Darche said: "in this class, you will use Twitter." I felt the heart palpitations begin, sweaty palms, blood pressure rising... and I don't understand why I felt that way. I've given Twitter two past attempts and I really just couldn't get it. I remember when Twitter became a thing right after I got out of college. It was just a stream of people's thoughts, and I recall thinking it was just one more social media app that I had to check, like a chore. Five years later, I gave it another try as an older, more professional adult. I still just couldn't get into it. During this course, I decided I wanted to put all reservations aside and give Twitter one last attempt; I must admit, I don't entirely hate it. I still feel like it is just one more social media app to check, but I do see it's value. I still struggle with feeling like I'm getting only a preview and people's posts that leave me wanting more. This course ...

Genius Hour Post #3: What's your sentence?

Well, here's an update... I've changed my project. I began to prepare for my Genius Hour Project, Prenatal Diet and Excercise. I began by cleaning out my kitchen of all the food that was expired or high in sugar. I then went up to my room to organize all of my maternity clothes, work out clothes and exercise equipment. I was finding so much satisfaction in organizing my things and getting rid of things I no longer needed or wanted (or sparked joy if you will..) that I found my passion for these next several weeks will be simplifying and organizing my life.  Ever since becoming a mom, I have experienced some real anxiety. I constantly feel out of control. Growing up, I always loved to have my way, on my own time. Now I have these little humans in my life which I cannot control... and it drives me bananas! I also have a husband who works (a very dangerous job) for long, crazy hours. None of these things I can control. But what I can control, is putting my life in order; reduci...