Skip to main content

Using Multimedia Tools in the Classroom- My takeaways

Our first assignment this course was to read a book and record ourselves. Now, I'm used to doing this with my boys every night. We read at least one book however if it were up to my 3-year-old at least 3-5 books, a night. However, for some reason, this really made me nervous, I'm a math teacher! However, I played along and read a book about triangles and other polygons called "The Greedy Triangle" by Marilyn Burns.


After reading it, I figured it might be fun to read to my 5th accelerated math class that I have after lunch. After all, we were currently studying triangles. I remember in a seminar once I had learned that the first 15 minutes of a class is when your students are the most engaged and most focused. My class after lunch, it's really difficult to get them in and transitioned from lunch and recess. I have to admit, that this really set the tone for the class. They even asked if we could read more books to start class.

Then we came to week four. Our assignment was to create an advertisement or book trailer for math and it needed to be 2-3 minutes long. I have to admit that I looked at this assignment for far too long trying to get up the nerve to begin it. Finally, I sat down one day and I got up the courage to work on it. I have to admit it took quite a while, but it wasn't as difficult as I made it up to be.







After spring break my 5th graders were beginning their unit on ratios, rates, and unit rates. I created a video showing the students all of the ways that rates and ratios were used in their everyday world. I found "shocking" statistics that I shared in the video that would engage and excite the students about the upcoming unit.





I used Clips on my iPad and it really was so simple! I feel like kids even in the younger grades could EASILY use it. It's very user-friendly and so simple to fix mistakes. I had all of that worry over nothing!

See the full video here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

*Sigh* Twitter

I remember the moment Kim Darche said: "in this class, you will use Twitter." I felt the heart palpitations begin, sweaty palms, blood pressure rising... and I don't understand why I felt that way. I've given Twitter two past attempts and I really just couldn't get it. I remember when Twitter became a thing right after I got out of college. It was just a stream of people's thoughts, and I recall thinking it was just one more social media app that I had to check, like a chore. Five years later, I gave it another try as an older, more professional adult. I still just couldn't get into it. During this course, I decided I wanted to put all reservations aside and give Twitter one last attempt; I must admit, I don't entirely hate it. I still feel like it is just one more social media app to check, but I do see it's value. I still struggle with feeling like I'm getting only a preview and people's posts that leave me wanting more. This course ...

Genius Hour Post #3: What's your sentence?

Well, here's an update... I've changed my project. I began to prepare for my Genius Hour Project, Prenatal Diet and Excercise. I began by cleaning out my kitchen of all the food that was expired or high in sugar. I then went up to my room to organize all of my maternity clothes, work out clothes and exercise equipment. I was finding so much satisfaction in organizing my things and getting rid of things I no longer needed or wanted (or sparked joy if you will..) that I found my passion for these next several weeks will be simplifying and organizing my life.  Ever since becoming a mom, I have experienced some real anxiety. I constantly feel out of control. Growing up, I always loved to have my way, on my own time. Now I have these little humans in my life which I cannot control... and it drives me bananas! I also have a husband who works (a very dangerous job) for long, crazy hours. None of these things I can control. But what I can control, is putting my life in order; reduci...