Skip to main content

Introduction to Teaching with Tech

Hi All!

 I will be blogging as a way to record my thoughts as I navigate my way through my Teaching with Tech classes and bring my math classes from paper to digital life. I am a math content specialist for CCSD181 for the 3rd year now.  I am a teacher who has a passion for math. For 7 years I taught middle school math. However, for the last 3 school years, I was "outsourced" to the elementary schools (this year specifically The Lane, Oak, and Elm) to teach middle school math to our elementary students and enrich content level math for our second graders. I currently teach a combination of 4th, 5th, and 7th-grade math to these kiddos. I feel like I'm very comfortable teaching with technology. However, I always have a yearning to learn new things. I'm always looking for new resources and modes to help me reach my students. I feel like my biggest issue is organizing my "favorite" resources. My current favorite tech tools are Flippity (obsessed!), Google Forms, and Google Sites... To be honest, anything Google really! Our district went 1:1 two years ago with iPads for our 3-5th graders and Chromebooks for our 6-8th graders. I personally LOVE teaching at the elementary level for the sole purpose of working from the iPads. The resources are endless!

On a personal level, here is a top ten of what you should know about me...

10. I coached cheerleading for 8 years at the high school level, Hinsdale Central, and the middle school level... then my little humans came into the world and now control all of my free time. Therefore, coaching is a thing of the past!

9. I've never used Twitter until this program... It's a work in progress.

8. I have a passion for traveling; I wish I could do it more. There's so much to see in this world, especially just in our country!

7. I love to run... I feel like it is my only time where no one can talk to me because I'm constantly moving away from them. As a teacher, you conversate ALL 👏🏻 DAY 👏🏻 LONG. 👏🏻 I also have two small children when I get home who also want to talk. A girl needs some quiet time.

6. I also love coffee.

5. ... and wine.

4. I'm married to my husband, Anthony, and he is a police officer who also rotates to the firehouse every so often. He is quite the jack of all trades since prior to this career he was in construction for 10 years. I'm very proud to be married to him and quite frankly, I'm very spoiled because he cooks 90% of our dinners. He is a wonderful cook and an even better father to our kiddos.
*Photo from this summer at a wedding in Malibu*


3. This brings me to my next point....I'm a terrible cook. 👎 I genuinely hate it.

2. I absolutely love what I do. Becoming a mom has given me a whole new view of this profession. I have such a big heart for these kids (they're part-time my kids too!). I just want them to do their best and always feel their best.

1. Which brings me to my final point, my most important point. I have two kids, a 3-year-old, Luca, and a 2-year-old, Nico. ... and THIS JUST IN, I'm expecting our third child in June, a baby girl!!! 💕My kids are my whole world and my heart just bursts for them. Although life is insanely hectic with two young boys and being pregnant, it is the most rewarding experience! 😅


*We were super excited about our new flipflops this summer!


   *Because who doesn't love matching jammies?

We had a fantastic summer with a lot of time poolside and even a trip with just mommy and daddy to Malibu! I'm excited to get back into the swing of things for a great year!


*Trip to Brookfield zoo!   

                                                   *One last photo from Malibu    



Comments

  1. Amazing! I only have one question... can your husband cater one of our classes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss seeing you every day! And I love that your cute babies are your #1!! They are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, welcome to the learning community of 677. I am glad you are learning with us. I hope we can all share and learn from each other on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the top ten list! Especially the picture of your adorable family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE all of your family photos from the summer. The pictures of the two of you from the wedding are BEAUTIFUL! I also love the Top Ten list... coaching has been on hold for me, as well, but I hope to get back to it again some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your family pictures are SO sweet! I also love your Top 10 List...and wine ;) Looking forward to another great class with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love looking at your photos from the summer! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned we have something in common from your top ten...2 boys and a girl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

*Sigh* Twitter

I remember the moment Kim Darche said: "in this class, you will use Twitter." I felt the heart palpitations begin, sweaty palms, blood pressure rising... and I don't understand why I felt that way. I've given Twitter two past attempts and I really just couldn't get it. I remember when Twitter became a thing right after I got out of college. It was just a stream of people's thoughts, and I recall thinking it was just one more social media app that I had to check, like a chore. Five years later, I gave it another try as an older, more professional adult. I still just couldn't get into it. During this course, I decided I wanted to put all reservations aside and give Twitter one last attempt; I must admit, I don't entirely hate it. I still feel like it is just one more social media app to check, but I do see it's value. I still struggle with feeling like I'm getting only a preview and people's posts that leave me wanting more. This course ...

Genius Hour Post #3: What's your sentence?

Well, here's an update... I've changed my project. I began to prepare for my Genius Hour Project, Prenatal Diet and Excercise. I began by cleaning out my kitchen of all the food that was expired or high in sugar. I then went up to my room to organize all of my maternity clothes, work out clothes and exercise equipment. I was finding so much satisfaction in organizing my things and getting rid of things I no longer needed or wanted (or sparked joy if you will..) that I found my passion for these next several weeks will be simplifying and organizing my life.  Ever since becoming a mom, I have experienced some real anxiety. I constantly feel out of control. Growing up, I always loved to have my way, on my own time. Now I have these little humans in my life which I cannot control... and it drives me bananas! I also have a husband who works (a very dangerous job) for long, crazy hours. None of these things I can control. But what I can control, is putting my life in order; reduci...